Monday, February 13, 2012

The American Scholar 2/14

"Each philosopher, each bard, each actor, has only done for me, as by a delegate, what one day I can do for myself."
In this statement from The American Scholar, Emerson is stating that everyone has the same rank in life. He is taking down worshiped people such as poets, actors, and philosophers down to the level of the average man. This statement explains that we are all capable of bringing the same amount of pleasure to others through our talents- just as the person sitting next to us is able to bring pleasure to others through their talents. He is destroying the pedestal we put those we look up to on and stating 'you can do the same.'

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Yes, that they are all just MY delegates, my representatives - - e.g. they serve me, I don't serve them. A very democratic take on knowledge.

    ReplyDelete